Maunsell's best known express passenger engine was the handsome four-cylinder 'Lord Nelson', class 4-6-0. The prototype No.850 'Lord Nelson', was completed at Eastleigh in 1926 and fifteen more followed in 1928-29. Numerous experiments were carried out to individual members of the class whilst in service. Names of British 'sea dogs' were bestowed upon the sixteen 'Lord Nelsons' designed by Maunsell. Whilst primarily intended for working heavy bout trains between London and Dover, the various secondary duties delegated to the 4-6-0's, coupled with their acknowledgement deficiencey in performance, prompted numerous experimental alterations. Smoke deflectors were applied to the entire class in the early 1930's, which heightened the already impresive stance of the class, and the 4,000 gallon bogie tenders were eventually given added coal-carrying capacity by virtue of raised dide sheets, of which the upper sections were canted inward to clear the loading gauge. Some ten years after the class was completed, Bullied introduced a series of major adaptations including replacement cylinders, and rework blasting arrangements in the form of Lemaitre multiple blast pipes, externally distinguished by immensely broad chimneys, which provided that much-sought extra sparkle to the performance and thereby justified the locomotives existence via some truly spirited feats of haulage. On many occassions 'Lord Nelsons' took over premier express trains from failed Bullied Pacific's. Following a revitalised career, courtesy of Bullied's successful modifications which vindicated their earlier promise, the magnificent 4-6-0's were consigned to the scrap heap in 1961-61. Fortunately, the prototype survives, No. 850 'Lord Nelson@ is currently preserved.