Similar coach design shown - no photos available to us of 1927 design coaches. © Unknown
As part of their modernisation scheme in the 1920s, the GWR required a new design of coach for their suburban passenger services. Charles Collett, Chief Mechanical Officer, designed the 57' 'bow-ended' non-gangwayed stock for this purpose. 28 4-car sets were produced that were initially allocated to Birmingham, London and Chester. After World War 2, some sets were disbanded and others became part of 3-car sets instead. The fleet were withdrawn by the end of 1962.