No. 299107 at Pentregwenlais Works, Carmarthen in November 1969. ©Hugh Llewelyn
The 88DS class first emerged from the Ruston works in 1942 and proved to be a versatile design, following on from their 44/48HP 0-4-0 locomotives. Many of the features of the 44/48HP were retained for the new 80/88HP, such as the chain drive and running gear, a new type of transmission was fitted, along with Westinghouse airbrakes. Two basic weight options were offered for the 80/88HP, of 17 tons and 20 tons, the difference being achieved by attaching weights to the outside frames, as well as to the front and rear buffer beams.
(Information provided by Hornby)