SR Diagram 3152 milk tank at Didcot Railway Centre in April 2019. © Hugh Llewelyn
Bulk milk transportation started in 1931 with the introduction of the 4-wheeled milk tanker. To overcome poor running issues with these early wagons, the 6 wheel milk tanker was developed for United and Express Dairies. These wagons proved very successful and over 630 6- wheeled milk tankers were built between 1932 and 1948 and used nationally. Eventually, most of the bulk milk transportation was moved over to road tankers and by the 1980’s these rail vehicles had become redundant. Unusually, the barrels of the wagons were owned by the milk companies whilst the frames were owned by railway companies.