No. 65894 ©John Whiteley
Developed from the earlier NER Class P2, an original five batches of P3s were built between 1906 and 1909 across various builders. The LNER commissioned two more batches some years later, these newer locomotives featuring Scmidt superheaters and piston valves. The class was intended for heavy freight workings and was adept at hauling long rakes. They were so successful that they managed to soldier on to the very end of steam in the North East in 1967. Just one member of the class escaped the cutters torch and is currently based at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
(Information provided via Wikipedia)