Castle Class 4-6-0 "Tintagel" in GWR Green - Pre-owned - marked finish - damaged connection plug, does not affect running - good box
Owing much to the GWR Star the Collett designed Castle Class locomotives first started to leave Swindon Works in 1924. "Caerphilly Castle", the first of the Class first appeared at the Empire Exhibition in the same year. These powerful 4-6-0 locomotives were renowned for hauling heavy trains at high speeds and remained on top link express duties until they were replaced by diesels in the early 1960's. On June 8, 1932 No. 5000 covered the 77 miles from Swindon to London in 56 minutes with 39 miles of the run being made at 90 mph which was quite an achievement at the time.
So successful was the design of these locomotives that they continued to be built until 1950.
We have been advised by Hornby that, due to production difficulties, we are not to expect this item into stock before January 2010 at the earliest.