The Class 40 (or 'Forties') may be regarded as the first successful British main
line diesel locomotive. Originally designated Type 4 the original order consisted
of a fleet of ten 2000 bhp express locomotives by the BTC under the Modernisation
Plan. Two hundred locomotives were subsequently constructed between 1958 and
1962 numbered in the range D200 - D399. The Class was divided in allocation between
the Eastern, London, Midland and Scottish Regions, the distinctive 1Co-Co1 wheel
arrangement giving high route availability. Their genesis, in terms of mechanical
function (but not external appearance), can be traced to the 10000-10001 early
diesels of BR (LMR) and 10201-10203 of BR(SR), in latter in particular. All,
with the exception of twenty, saw construction at English Electric Vulcan foundry
Twenty-five of the Class received names. Numbers D200-D323 has train identification
discs fitted; corner route-indicator boxes superseded this, which displayed a
4-character reporting system. In early 1961, when nose doors became obsolete
D346-D399 had single, centre-mounted route indicator boxes at the time of construction.
The Forties were especially well-liked machines with their crews and enthusiasts
alike, remaining in service until obsolescence in 1985.
This model does not have any lighting fitted.