Gresley designed the first of this countrys 3-cylinder 2-6-2's for the London and North eastern Railway. the first engine appeared in 1936 and was named 'Green Arrow' to co-incide with the inroduction of a special fast freight service of the same name. The three cylinders, steam chests and smokebox saddle were made in one casting, with the short outside steam pipes. Gresley's conjugated valve gear placed ahead of the cylindres, was used to drive the middle valve.
As engines of the Class were due for cylinder renewals, it was found to be much more economical to eliminate the large single casting, so seperate castings were bolted to the centre casting, with the longer and more direct outside steam pipes forming part of the modification.
as part of a further series of draughting investigations carried out at Swindon, 60963 was the first of only eight engines from the Class to be fitted with a double blast pipe and chimney.
Seven other engines received names, which appeared on curved nameplates above the centre wheels, where as 'Green Arrow' ran in service with straight nameplates on either side of the smokebox.
V2 locomotives built up to 1941 carried the LNER lined green livery, with construction during World War II seeing the plain black. After nationalisation, the lined blavk livery was adopted up until December 1956, when BR Brunswick green was introduced.