H.N. Gresley designed the first of this country's 3-Cylinder 2-6-2's for the London and North Eastern Railway. The first engine appeared in 1936 and was named 'Green Arrow' to coinside with the introduction of a special fast freight service of the same name. The three Cylinders, Steam Chests and Smokebox saddle were made in one casting with short outside Steam Pipes. Gresley's conjugated valve gear placed ahead of the cylinders, was used to drive the middle valve. As the engines of the Class V2 became due for Cylinder renewals it was found much more economical to do away with the large casting for ythe three cylinders, Steam chests, and Smoke Box saddle. Instead, seperate castings were made for the outside cylinders and Steam chests whwich were then bolted on to the Centre Casting. Longer and more direct outside Steam pipes formed part of the modification. As part of a furtherseries of draughting investigations carried out at Swindon B.R. No 60963 was fitted with double blast pipe and chimney. Of the Class of 184 engines only eight ever received the double blast arrangement. Seven other engines received names but on curved name plates above the centre wheels - Not as 'Green Arrow' ran in service with straight name plates on the sides of the smoke nox. V2's built up to 1941 had the L.N.E.R. Green Lined Livery. The Wartime livery was unlined black. After nationalisation the lined black livery was adopted up to December 1956, when B.R. Brunswick Green was used for the V2's.