Locomotive designer, H.G. Ivatt, son of the celebrated Great Northern Railway locomotive designer, succeeded Faiburn at the helm of L.M.S. motive power engineering in 1948. Ivatt authorised the construction of several revised Stanier locomotive designs incorporating details of his own origination, including a series of locomotives developed by himself. Amongst the latter was a class of 2-6-2 tank engines of the light-weight Class 2 power rating for working suburban passenger traffic. The total of these eventually rose 130 examples, of wheich the first ten were introduced under the L.M.S. ownership in 1946-7. The remaining 120 loco's were produced by British Railways from 1948 until 1952, when manufacture was terminated in favour of the newly developed B.R. Standard 84000 Class 2-6-2T. These owed almost every detail to Ivatt's handiwork and were virtually virtually indistinguishable externally. Sixty Ivatt 2-6-2T's were equipped for push-pull working on branch lines, the entire class was initially distributed throughout the London Midland Region, and subsequently spread into the Southern and western Regions. With their freight duties in addition to their customary passenger role. Ivatt's Class 2 tanks enjoyed only breif lives, as withdrawal of this Class commenced in 1962.