This item has a limited edition certificate included.
Route 309 to Southport via Burtonwood Winwick Road
The name East Lancashire Coachbuilders was first reistered in October 1934 when the firm manufactured bodies for vans, lorries and small coaches. A major change took place in May 1938 when Alfred and George Danson moved from Massey brothers to become directors of the Company. They brought their expertise in the building of larger buses, particularly double deckers. Metal framing was introduced from these early days and the firm became known as a major supplier to the municipal sector of the market. Scince the decline of this market, the customer base has widened to embrace all types of operator including major groups, both at home and abroad.
St. Helens Corporation commenced motor bus operation in 1923. In 1959, a solitary front entrance 30ft long double decker numbered K199 was purchased. It was an AEC Regent V with East Lancs body. The main problem with it was that the fuel tank was insufficient capacity to enable it to operate all day without refuelling and it remained as the only 30ft double decker in the fleet.