A Brief History of Class 15 Locomotives:
During the implementation of Modernisation Plan of British Railways in 1955, a contract was placed to British-Thompson-Houston (BTH) for 10 Pilot Scheme locomotives for light local freight and Empty Coaching Stock duties in East Anglia. The 10 Pilot Scheme Locomotives were delivered to the British Transport Commission (BTC) in 1957, commencing in October. The balance of the order up to D8209 was delivered before the end of 1958. Following this an order for a further 34 locomotives was placed. These locomotives were delivered between 1959 and 1961. When built the fleet was envisaged to operate in the on the Eastern Region in the Anglia area but ended up mostly in the East London area. The locomotives were delivered painted all over British Railways "Brunswick Green". Small Yellow warning panels were added from 1963 onwards, with full yellow ends eventually being applied to all except to D8230 and D8232. With the decline of London freight duties in the late 1960s the fleet of 44 locomotives found themselves redundant and withdrawals took place from 1969 to 1971, with the last members of the class been withdrawn from traffic on 27th March 1971.
However four of the Class, D8203/33/37 and D8243, escaped scrapping and were taken for carriage heating duties. D8233 and the other two locomotives were regarded as surplus to requirements, D8233 was transferred to Healy Mills depot for storage alongside other redundant locomotives, from here it was purchased for preservation In 1984. More information can be found on www.d8233.org.uk