This model does not have any lighting fitted.
The Class 40 (or 'Forties') may be regarded as the first successful British main line diesel locomotive. Originally designated Type 4 the original order consisted of a fleet of ten 2000 bhp express locomotives by the BTC under the Modernisation Plan. Two hundred locomotives were subsequently constructed between 1958 and 1962 numbered in the range D200 - D399.
The Class was divided in allocation between the Eastern, London, Midland and Scottish Regions, the distinctive 1Co-Co1 wheel arrangement giving high route availability. Their genesis, in terms of mechanical function (but not external appearance), can be traced to the 10000-10001 early diesels of BR (LMR) and 10201-10203 of BR(SR), in latter in particular. All, with the exception of twenty, saw construction at English Electric Vulcan foundry in Newton-le-Willows.
Twenty-five of the Class received names. Numbers D200-D323 has train identification discs fitted; corner route-indicator boxes superseded this, which displayed a 4-character reporting system. In early 1961, when nose doors became obsolete D346-D399 had single, centre-mounted route indicator boxes at the time of construction.
The Forties were especially well-liked machines with their crews and enthusiasts alike, remaining in service until obsolescence in 1985. Several examples of the Class have escaped scrapping by private enthusiast groups.